The Australian University Senior Finance Officers Group (‘AUSFOG’) is a collaborative association of senior finance officers representing 38 Universities across all states and territories. The Group formally meets twice annually and corresponds regularly throughout the year on matters that impact on the financial operations of the Sector. The Group also liaises closely with the State Audit Offices on matters such as compliance with Accounting Standards and Department of Education and Training reporting requirements.
AUSFOG works together to:
- Explore and share knowledge of best practice across Finance activities,
- Consider innovative approaches to enhance the value to universities that Finance functions could deliver,
- Champion/influence matters of financial import to peak bodies such as Department of Education and Training, Department of Industry and Science, Universities Australia, Audit Offices (NSW, ACT & Commonwealth) and State, Territory and Federal higher education ministers,
- Identify and action benchmarking of specific finance activities,
- Engage ‘outside’ assistance (eg. Large Accounting firms) as required to provide advice or represent the Group on the financial implications of changes to accounting standards and taxation legislation.
- Discuss and clarify the year-end audit process and raise any concerns with representatives of the Audit office(s). (This will include proposed changes in Accounting Standards and Department of Education and Training reporting requirements.)
An underlying principle of the Group is to foster professional and open relationships by the informal sharing of knowledge and experience.
2020-2021 Chair of AUSFOG
Director, Financial Control and Treasury, The University of Sydney